Monday, May 18, 2009

The Best Birthday Present Ever


My birthday was coming up, but I wasn't very excited. Back home, my birthday was always over spring break, so I was always at a soccer tournament or on a family vacation (aka: perfection). In college, we don't have spring break (aka: lame), and my birthday just happened to fall on Fast Sunday. I had meetings and church in the morning, and then my family was coming in that night which was going to be fun. Landon's sister and I have our birthdays on the same day, so Landon was going home (a half hour away from school) to spend the day with her. So, the day before he took me on a special birthday date. We had a picnic, played soccer, threw the frisbee, and strolled around this gorgeous lake. When it got dark, we went to his apartment and watched Phantom of the Opera (amazing). His slightly...okay, incredibly awkward roommate totally came in and watched it with us. I kept wishing he would just go away. Didn't he know we were on a date? The movie ended, and he walked me home. As we were walking past President's home on campus, Landon saw a pathway toward the hill, and so we went down in and found the most gorgeous view of the valley. I started to wonder if he was going to try to kiss me again. It's one of those places that I would never walk alone, because it could technically be kind of creepy all by itself, but on a date, it was beyond romantic. We looked out on the valley, and he held me close to keep me warm. He was telling me all the things he loved about me and was really sweet. And then, he turned me around, leaned in and kissed me. It was the best present ever, and I was so beyond giddy. I have no idea how long we were out there, but I remember checking the time at 2AM at one point, so it was officially my birthday.
The next morning I knew I wouldn't see Landon, but considering the night before had been amazing, all was well. I was really excited to be 19. (I was convinced it sounded WAY OLDER than 18). I went to my first meeting, and I came back to my room where my roommate had decorated the place and given me a present. So cute. Then I saw them, the dozen red roses on my desk. I kind of panicked. "Christie, who are they from?" I asked. I REALLY wanted them to be Landon but worried it might be another guy. Sweet relief, it was from Landon. I thought he had done enough the day before. They were totally unexpected, but it was adorable. I texted him telling him how sweet it was. When we got to church, Christie handed me a present. She just said, "Guess who from." I took it into the hall and opened it up. The Taylor Swift CD! ADORABLE! I ran outside, so I could text him thanks. I totally liked him before, but this may have been the moment I fell in love with him ;). It was turning into a pretty good birthday after all!

After church, my brother and I went to my grandparents' house to see my family. Landon told me he was going to meet me there, and by extension...meet the parents. I was slightly terrified and completely awkward. I really liked him and that really scared me. He came in, and I didn't touch him, sit by him, or anything. I just played a game with my sister while my family talked to him. Yeah, it was beyond weird, but he did great and all was well. Landon drove me home, and I went on and on about how adorable his surprises were and that he didn't have to do all
of that, and etc. etc. When we got back to my dorm, he said, "I have one more present for you." "WHAT? You've done more than enough!" He handed me a small box. I opened it and found the most beautiful necklace. Yes, I know. He's perfect. Pretty sure I wore it everyday with every outfit and still wear it all the time.
* Picture from the party-notice the necklace :) *

He walked me in, and yes, the best birthday ever continues-a surprise party! All my friends from the ward and floor threw me an amazing party. It was too great. I was expecting it to be way lame, but it was pretty much the best ever-complete with the perfect first kiss. Ahh, bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment